Studying with children

The birth of a child often brings not only joy but also great changes. About ten percent of all Austrian students have one or more children. They face the challenge of combining family and studies as best they can. The following chapters are intended to give you an overview of all grants, allowances and support measures for students with children:


Weekly allowance

During the maternity protection period, which begins 8 weeks before the expected birth and ends 8 weeks after the actual date of birth, there is an absolute ban on employment for pregnant gainfully employed women. During this period, the maternity allowance provides financial support for working women and replaces their lost pay. In the case of premature, multiple or caesarean births, the period after birth is extended to 12 weeks.

Who is entitled?

Women who are self-employed:
For employed women, the amount of the maternity allowance is based on the net income of the last three months. In addition, there is a supplement for special payments, such as holiday and Christmas bonuses.


Women in marginal employment with voluntary self-insurance:
Low-income self-insured workers receive a fixed amount of 9.87 euros per day (as of 01.01.2022).

Fully insured self-employed women:
Self-employed women receive an income-related maternity allowance.

Recipients of benefits under the Unemployment Insurance Act receive maternity allowance in the amount of 180 per cent of the last benefit received.

Recipients of childcare allowance only receive maternity allowance for another expected child if they were already entitled to maternity allowance on the occasion of the previous birth (i.e. for the child for which they are currently receiving childcare allowance) and the transition from receiving childcare allowance to maternity protection takes place directly. The amount of the maternity allowance generally corresponds to the amount of the childcare allowance received before.


Self-employed women who exercise a trade and farmers receive "farm assistance as a benefit in kind" as maternity benefit. If no business assistance is granted, there may also be an entitlement to a weekly allowance in the amount of 56.87 euros per day (as of 01.01.2021). This applies in particular to self-employed women who do not exercise a trade (new self-employed).

Application and payment:

From the beginning of the 8th week before the birth, you can submit the application for maternity allowance to the competent health insurance institution. You will need a medical certificate as well as a confirmation of employment and remuneration from your employer. If you received unemployment benefit, unemployment assistance or childcare allowance before the protection period, you need a "notification of entitlement to benefits". Payment is made monthly in arrears.

Attention: If you receive additional income in addition to the maternity allowance, this may lead to a suspension of the maternity allowance in the amount of the income received.

Childcare allowance

Since March 2017, there is a so-called childcare allowance account. The income-dependent childcare allowance remains in force.

The following eligibility requirements must first be met in order to receive childcare allowance:

  • Entitlement to and receipt of family allowance for the child.
  • Centre of vital interests in Austria
  • Legal residence in Austria
  • Shared household with the child and identical main residence registrations
  • Performance of mother-child passport examinations
  • Compliance with the additional earnings limits
  • In the case of separated parents: custody of the child and receipt of family allowance by the applicant parent.

In principle, parents can alternate a maximum of two times both in the flat-rate system and in the income-related childcare allowance. This means that there can be a maximum of three blocks, whereby one block must last at least 61 days. Simultaneous receipt of childcare allowance is only possible when changing benefits for the first time. In this case, both parents may receive childcare allowance for up to 31 days at the same time. However, the days drawn at the same time are deducted from the total entitlement period.

Childcare allowance is only paid upon application. The health insurance institution responsible for the application and payment of the childcare allowance is the health insurance institution with which the maternity allowance was drawn or with which the person is or was last insured. If no insurance has existed so far, the regional health insurance fund to which the application for childcare allowance is submitted is responsible.

The choice of the benefit system - flat-rate or income-dependent - must be made when applying for the first time and also binds the second parent. Without exception, a change of the system is only possible within 14 days of the first application!

With the help of the childcare allowance calculator, you can calculate the most optimal variant and entitlement period for you:

The entitlement to childcare allowance is suspended during the entitlement to maternity allowance, during the entitlement to a benefit similar to maternity allowance (e.g.: continued payment of wages by the employer) or during the entitlement to company assistance after the birth. The payment of childcare allowance then begins only after the end of the protection period. Furthermore, the entitlement to childcare allowance is suspended if there is an entitlement to a foreign family benefit.


Contact and application:

At the competent health insurance institution.

The childcare allowance account (lump-sum benefit)

The childcare allowance account as a lump-sum benefit recognises and financially compensates the parents' care work. Parents receive the flat-rate childcare allowance irrespective of whether they were in gainful employment before the birth of the child.

Period of entitlement:

The duration of childcare allowance can be flexibly chosen within a predefined framework of 365 to 851 days (approx. 12 to 28 months) from the birth of the child for one parent or from 456 to 1,063 days (approx. 15 to 35 months) from the birth of the child if claimed by both parents.

A new feature is the possibility for both parents to receive KBG at the same time for a period of up to 31 days on the occasion of the first change (this also applies to the income-dependent KBG), whereby the total entitlement period is reduced by these days.

In certain cases of hardship, the receipt of flat-rate childcare allowance may be extended, but for a maximum of 91 days over the maximum possible amount to which one parent alone is entitled.

Amount of benefit:

In the shortest variant, the childcare allowance amounts to a maximum of EUR 33.88 per day and in the longest EUR 14.53 per day (as of 01.01.2021). The longer the childcare allowance, the lower the daily amount. The amount of the benefit is therefore determined by the individually chosen duration of the benefit. Of the total amount available per child, 20 percent is reserved for the second parent and cannot be transferred (in the shortest variant this is 91 days). In the case of multiple births, the flat-rate childcare allowance for the second and each additional multiple child is increased by 50 per cent of the respective daily amount.

Additional earnings limit:

Recipients of flat-rate childcare allowance may earn up to 60 per cent of their last income from the calendar year before the birth (the so-called individual additional earnings limit), provided that no childcare allowance was received in that year. If the individual additional earnings limit cannot be determined or if the determined additional earnings limit is below EUR 16,200 per year, an additional earnings limit of EUR 16,200 per calendar year applies in this case. If this additional earnings limit is exceeded, the amount by which the earnings limit was exceeded must be repaid. Additional earnings do not include alimony, family allowance, childcare allowance, maternity allowance, severance pay, nursing allowance, holiday pay, Christmas bonus and study allowance.

The health insurance fund sends a notification of entitlement to benefits after the application for KBG has been filed. Among other things, the amount of the individual additional earnings limit is also stated in this letter!

In order to avoid exceeding the additional earnings limit, childcare allowance can be waived for a certain period in advance (only for whole calendar months). During the waiver period, the other parent cannot receive childcare allowance either (exception: first-time change of parents).

Important: In case of a regularly constant monthly additional income, a waiver for individual months is not expedient.

Insurance coverage:

Health and pension insurance is provided during the family period.

Allowance for flat-rate childcare allowance:

Low-income single parents and parents living in a marriage or cohabitation can apply for an allowance for the flat-rate childcare allowance in the amount of EUR 6.06 per day (as of 01.01.2021) for a maximum period of 365 days from the first application. The income of the receiving parent may not exceed EUR 7,300 (as of 01.01.2021), the income of the second parent may not exceed EUR 16,200 (as of 01.01.2021) in a calendar year. The allowance must be repaid if the additional earnings limit is exceeded.

The income-dependent childcare allowance

The primary function of the income-dependent childcare allowance is to give those parents who only want to withdraw from working life for a short time and who have a higher income the opportunity to receive income replacement during this time. In order to receive the income-dependent KBG, in addition to the general eligibility requirements, employment subject to health and pension insurance must be actually and continuously pursued in Austria during the 182 calendar days before the birth of the child.

Note: If only one parent fulfils the employment requirement, an income-dependent childcare allowance of EUR 33.88 per day is due if all other eligibility requirements are fulfilled.

Amount of benefit:
The income-dependent KBG is equivalent to 80 per cent of the last income, but not more than EUR 66 per day (i.e. about EUR 2,000 per month). There is no multiple supplement for recipients of income-dependent childcare allowance. In this case, childcare allowance is only paid for the youngest multiple child!

If the final daily rate is below EUR 33.88 per day, income-related childcare allowance of EUR 33.88 per day is payable, provided all other eligibility requirements are met.

Period of entitlement:

One parent may receive income-related childcare allowance until the 365th day after the birth of the child at the latest. If both parents claim income-related childcare allowance, the period of entitlement is extended by the period of time the other parent actually received the allowance, but the maximum period of entitlement is up to 426 days from the birth of the child. Each parent is entitled to a non-transferable entitlement period of 61 days.

Additional earnings limit:

Recipients of income-related childcare allowance may earn a maximum of EUR 6,800 per calendar year. In addition, no unemployment insurance benefits may be received during the entire reference period. If this annual additional earnings limit is exceeded, the amount by which the additional earnings limit was exceeded must be repaid.

In order to avoid exceeding the additional earnings limit, childcare allowance can be waived for a certain period in advance (only for whole calendar months). During the waiver period, the other parent cannot receive childcare allowance either (exception: first-time change of parents).

Family time bonus

For working fathers who devote themselves intensively and exclusively to the family immediately after the birth of the child and interrupt their gainful employment (in agreement with the employer), a "family time bonus" of EUR 22.60 per day is provided (which is credited to any childcare allowance account subsequently drawn by the father; in this case, the amount of the childcare allowance is reduced, but not the period of entitlement). This bonus must be consumed within an uninterrupted period of 28 to 31 days and within a fixed time frame of 91 days after the birth.

Important: The father must temporarily stop all gainful employment during this period. Following the family leave, however, this gainful employment must be resumed or a parental leave or childcare periods must be added!

The family time bonus is only granted upon application to the competent health insurance institution of the father and can be applied for at the earliest from the day of the birth of the child at the competent health insurance institution.

Partnership bonus:

If the childcare allowance is divided almost equally (50:50 to 60:40), each parent is entitled to a partnership bonus in the amount of a one-time payment of EUR 500 (status: 01.01.2021). This is intended to financially compensate the sharing of childcare responsibilities between the parents. Each parent can apply for the partnership bonus at the same time as applying for the childcare allowance, but it is also possible to apply separately at a later date to the competent health insurance institution.

Family bonus plus

The Family Bonus Plus is a tax deduction. It directly reduces the tax burden by up to EUR 1,500 per child and year. You receive the Family Bonus Plus as long as family allowance is received for the child. After the child's 18th birthday, you are entitled to a reduced Family Bonus Plus in the amount of EUR 500 per year if you continue to receive family allowance for this child. Low-income single parents or single earners who do not pay any tax or pay only a small amount of tax will in future receive a so-called additional child benefit amounting to a maximum of 250 euros per child and year.

Contact for more detailed information:
Federal Ministry of Finance

Maternity leave/parental part-time work

Employees have a legal right to parental leave until the child reaches 24 months of age at the latest, regardless of whether only one parent or both take parental leave in turn. The parental leave must last at least two months. The protection against dismissal and dismissal applicable in this context ends four weeks after the end of the maternity leave.

Important: The employer must be informed separately and preferably in writing of the taking of maternity leave. The application for childcare allowance does not count as notification of parental leave, because the duration of parental leave does not have to coincide with the period of childcare allowance!

Additional earnings during maternity leave:

During maternity leave, additional earnings up to the marginal earnings limit can be earned without losing the protection against dismissal and redundancy. In addition, employment above the marginal earnings threshold can be agreed with the previous employer (but only for up to 13 weeks per calendar year). Both employment below and above the low-income limit is considered a second, fixed-term employment relationship with the same employer (employment with another employer is only possible with the consent of the previous employer).

Part-time parental leave:

If certain conditions are met (duration of the employment relationship, number of employees in the company,...), there is an entitlement to part-time employment up to the child's seventh birthday within a certain range. If there is no entitlement to part-time employment, it can be agreed with the employer until the child's fourth birthday at the latest. For both forms of part-time parental leave, special protection against termination and dismissal is provided.


For further information, please contact the Chamber of Labour of Upper Austria, among others.

Family allowance

Your own family allowance

For students who have a child during their entitlement to family allowance, some special regulations apply, which are explained in more detail in the following subchapter:

Extension of the proof period:

Basically, after the first year of study (i.e. after the first two semesters), you have to prove to the tax office that you have earned 16 ECTS points or 8 semester hours per week in order to continue to be entitled to family allowance. Periods of maternity leave as well as periods of care and upbringing of your own child up to its second birthday suspend the expiry of the verification period. This means that the proof of academic achievement, which normally has to be submitted after the first year of studies, only has to be submitted later (contact your competent tax office regarding the exact period of proof).

Extension of the period of entitlement:
As already mentioned, maternity leave and periods of care and upbringing of a child until the child's 2nd birthday inhibit the expiry of the scheduled period of study. The semesters up to the child's 2nd birthday are therefore not counted. The semester counting continues with the semester following the child's 2nd birthday. However, during the period of suspension of the duration of studies, an admission or a notification of continuation of studies must be available.

Please note: An extension of the entitlement period is only possible if the periods of maternity leave or care and upbringing of a child fall within the entitlement period.

Sharing between mother and father:
The extension of the entitlement period as well as the verification period can be shared between the natural mother and the natural father (e.g.: 2 semesters for the mother and 2 semesters for the father). However, the change in care and upbringing must take place at the beginning or end of a semester. In this context, it is also advisable to state that one parent is exclusively taking care of the upbringing of the children and the other parent is prevented from doing so because of studies or gainful employment.

Change of studies:
If the majority of a semester falls during a period of maternity leave or the care and upbringing of the child up to the 2nd birthday, or if complications arise during pregnancy, this semester will not be included in the period of study in the case of a change of study.

Increase in age limit:
The age limit increases up to the completion of the 25th year of age if there is a pregnancy at the time of the 24th year of age or if a student has given birth to a child. However, the family allowance can only be paid until the age of 25 if the student is still in the intended period of study (plus extended entitlement period).

Please note: For male students, an increase in the age limit due to paternity is not provided for.

Additional earnings limit:

The entitlement to family allowance is not excluded by certain income of the student, e.g. study allowance: Study allowance, maternity allowance and childcare allowance. In addition, 15,000 EUR of taxed income may be earned annually. This income limit also applies to students with a child.

Family allowance for the child

Regardless of their income or employment, parents are entitled to family allowance. This is intended to support them in their maintenance obligation.

Amount of family allowance (values 2022)
from birth: EUR 114.00 per month
from the age of 3: EUR 121.90 per month
from the age of 10: 141.50 EUR per month
from the age of 19: 165.10 EUR per month
Supplement for a severely disabled child: EUR 155.90 per month

The family allowance increases monthly for each child if it is granted
for 2 children, by EUR 7.10
for 3 children, by EUR 17.40
for 4 children by 26,50 EUR
for 5 children by 32,00 EUR
for 6 children by 35,70 EUR
for 7 and more children, EUR 52.00.

The family allowance is supplemented by the child deduction. This amounts to EUR 58.40 per child and month (as of 01.10.2021). The child deduction is paid out together with the family allowance and does not have to be applied for separately.

In addition, for each child between 6 and 15 years of age, the family allowance increases by EUR 100 in September (formerly 13th family allowance or school start allowance).

Entitlement to family allowance
Parents are entitled to family allowance,

  • whose centre of life is in Austria and
  • their child lives with them in the same household (keyword: household membership).

If the parents are separated, the family allowance is payable to the parent with whom the child lives. In the absence of a joint household, the family allowance is paid to the parent who bears the main maintenance costs for the child. If the child lives in his or her own household and the parents demonstrably do not meet their maintenance obligation, the family allowance can also be paid directly upon the child's request.

But beware: Parents lose their entitlement to the child deduction if the child applies for family allowance itself!

Special rules apply to EU nationals, third-country nationals and children living abroad.

Since May 1, 2015, if you give birth to your child in Austria, you can receive family allowance without having to submit a corresponding application. The tax authorities check the eligibility requirements using the data from the central civil status register and automatically transfer the family allowance to your account. If the tax administration is still missing information such as the account number (IBAN, BIC), you will be asked to provide the tax office with the missing data. Even in this case, you do not need to apply for family allowance, just send the information letter from the tax administration back to the tax office with your answers and any supporting documents.


The tax office of residence of the parent receiving family allowance is responsible.


Study allowance

For students with children, the study grant provides a number of favorable regulations. For fathers, however, these benefits only apply if they are either married to the mother of the child or if joint custody has been approved.

However, we strongly recommend that you apply for a student grant if you are a student with a child or if you have a child on the way. As soon as your child is born, it is essential to apply for a change of status at the Scholarship Office. To do this, you must submit both a birth certificate and the child's registration certificate. If this application is submitted within the application period, it will be effective from the beginning of the award period - otherwise from the month following the submission of the application.

Aid Amount:

For students, the maximum possible study grant is EUR 801 per month. In addition, the study grant for students with children increases by EUR 112 per month per child. For students who have reached the age of 24 or 27, an additional allowance of EUR 20 or EUR 40 per month will be granted as of September 2017.

Additional earnings limit:

The annual additional earnings limit of EUR 15,000 increases by EUR 3,000 to EUR 5,200 per year for each dependent child. Depending on the age of the child/children, the earnings limit changes to varying degrees. The prerequisite for the increase of the income limit is the obligation to support the child; there does not have to be a duty of custody.

If tuition assistance is not received for the entire calendar year, the income limit of EUR 15,000 is reduced accordingly (factoring). The following calculation applies: number of months with subsidies * 1,250 EUR

Important: The increase of the additional earnings limit due to a maintenance obligation towards one or more children is not factored in. Not even if student aid was not received during the entire calendar year.

Extension of the period of entitlement:

Under certain circumstances, the period of entitlement to study grants may be extended. Pregnancy during the course of studies extends the period of entitlement to study grants by one semester. The care and upbringing of a child up to the age of six during studies extends the entitlement to study grants by up to two semesters per child. You can find further reasons for extension on this homepage in the tab "Studienbeihilfe".

Important: The application for extension must be submitted to the responsible scholarship office at the latest before the end of the entitlement period.

Study Success:

In order not to lose their entitlement to study grants, students with children must also always provide proof of study success in good time. Unfortunately, the Study Support Act does not grant any leniency in this regard! You can find more information about the favorable study success on this homepage:

Increase of the age limit:

For students with children, the permissible age limit for the receipt of study grants is also increased by five years. Students with children are therefore still entitled to study grants if they begin their studies before reaching the age of 35.

Graduation scholarship:

Child-rearing periods during maternity leave are also taken into account for the receipt of a degree scholarship.

Study support from the BMWFW:

The Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy may award study support to compensate for social hardship, particularly difficult study conditions, to promote studies abroad or for special study achievements. This study support is intended to compensate for study-related costs in the case of social hardship and a favorable course of study. Applications for study support must be submitted to the relevant scholarship office or to the BMWFW. Decisions on support are made on a case-by-case basis.

Childcare subsidy:

Students who are in the process of completing their studies, are socially eligible, and have children to care for have the opportunity to apply for a subsidy to cover the costs of childcare. This subsidy is granted for a maximum of 18 months and amounts to a maximum of 150 EUR per month for each child. The subsidy is paid in arrears. A corresponding application for a childcare allowance must be submitted to the relevant scholarship office.

Important: The application for a subsidy for childcare costs can only be submitted once. A retroactive application is not possible.


Scholarship Office Linz
Address: Ferihumerstraße 15, 4040 Linz
Phone: +43 (0) 732/ 66 40 31

For e-mail inquiries, please always include your matriculation number, personal identification number or SV number!

 Studying with a child at JKU

Compatibility of studies and family

More than two-thirds of JKU students are employed and every fifth student has childcare responsibilities. The Department of Human Resources Development, Gender and Diversity Management at JKU Linz deals with all issues related to work or study and family and implements sustainable measures for work-life balance, family-friendliness and compatibility of study and work.


Department of Human Resources Development, Gender and Diversity Management
Address: Altenberger Strasse 69, 4040 Linz
Location: Science Park 5, 2nd floor, S5 0219
Phone: +43 (0) 732/ 2468 3021

Tuition fee

Students with children who are required to pay tuition fees can apply to the Admissions Service at JKU Linz for a waiver or refund of tuition fees if they were prevented from continuing their studies due to pregnancy or the predominant care of their child or children (up to the age of seven).


Admissions Service Department
Address: Altenbergerstraße 69, 4040 Linz
Location: Bank building
Phone: + 43 (0) 732/ 2468 2010

Leave of absence

If you are pregnant or caring for children, you can take a leave of absence from the Admissions Service at JKU Linz. During a leave of absence, admission to studies remains valid, but participation in courses, taking exams, and the submission and evaluation of scientific work is not permitted. The application for a leave of absence must be submitted to the Admissions Office together with the relevant supporting documents. We recommend that you submit your application in good time by 01 March (for the summer semester) or 01 October (for the winter semester).

During the period of leave of absence, no tuition fees will be charged for the semester(s) in question. The ÖH fee must still be paid.

Important: Please note that a leave of absence can have a negative effect on any grants you may receive!

Contact us:

Admissions Service
Address: Altenbergerstraße 69, 4040 Linz
Location: Bank building, 1st floor
Phone: + 43 (0) 732/ 2468 2010

Kidsversity - Flexible Childcare

Since 2011, JKU has been offering flexible childcare for JKU employees and students in cooperation with OÖ Hilfswerk. All children from 1 to 12 years are welcome.

The following goals are pursued by the Kidsversity - Flexible Childcare team through their pedagogical concept:

  • The individual needs of the children are the focus of the pedagogical activities.
  • All the children's senses are to be stimulated through a wide variety of activities.
  • The children should be gently accompanied through the first stages of development.
  • Regularity in the care should give the children security.
  • Good preparatory work is done for the children's entry into other institutions.
  • The opening hours are based on a regular needs assessment.

The cost for one hour of care is 2 EUR. This amount is debited monthly by direct debit or paid in with a deposit slip. In addition, a contribution towards expenses of 35 EUR must be paid each semester for handicraft materials, Pampers, wet wipes and fruit.

Registration and settling-in period:

Registration of childcare hours is absolutely necessary, as only a certain number of children can be cared for at any one time. If you do not need the agreed care, you are obliged to cancel in time. Un-excused hours will be charged accordingly.

However, before you can make use of the care services offered by Kidsversity - Flexible Kinderbetreuung, it is necessary to have an enrollment interview with the director of the facility. During this meeting, you will get to know each other, fill out the registration form, receive a tour of the facility and discuss the future care as well as the acclimatization phase. During the settling-in phase, the children are gently accustomed to the teachers and the group. In small steps and in consultation with the director, this phase is adapted to the needs of the parents and children.

Vacation care:

Since 2007, JKU has offered vacation care during the summer vacations for the 1- to 12-year-old children of its employees and students. The aim is to support university employees in reconciling work or studies with care obligations throughout the summer vacations.

Adventure Weeks for children ages 6 to 12:

The four-week vacation program in August is designed with a focus on science, exercise, nature and everyday experiences.

General vacation care:

July and August for children ages 1 to 3; September for children ages 1 to 12.

Special craft or movement activities are also offered as part of the general vacation care program to provide variety and adventure.


Kidsversity - Flexible Childcare
Address: Altenbergerstr. 52, 4040 Linz
Phone: + 43 (0)732/ 2468 1268 or + 43 (0) 664/ 80 765 1569

Other grants/ subsidies/ support

This chapter contains a number of other important grants and support services that may be relevant for students with children. In addition, we recommend that you read the Upper Austrian Social Guide 2022, which provides a comprehensive overview of all Upper Austrian subsidies. You can get it either on site at the ÖH Sozialreferat or online as PDF at the Sozialplattform here.

Childcare Fund of the Federal ÖH

The childcare fund of the Austrian Students' Union (ÖH) is used to support the costs of childcare for student parents who are legally obligated to care for and raise a child.

The following documents/information must be enclosed with the application:

  • Name, address and matriculation number
  • Birth certificate of the child for whom support is requested
  • a confirmation from the childcare facility (crèche, kindergarten, childminder, after-school care, babysitter) about the attendance or care of the child
  • a confirmation of the actual monthly costs paid for childcare (kindergarten fee without food but including heating, handicraft fee and all other usual partial and incidental costs).

The amount depends on the extent of social need and the amount of the costs for child care. The amount of childcare costs is calculated on the basis of an annual average. The support amounts to a maximum of EUR 1,200 per academic year. Only one support per child can be granted in an academic year.

You can get the form from us at the Social Department or at the following link:

ÖH JKU Social Fund/ Federal ÖH Social Fund

JKU students who are in financial need can apply for support from the ÖH JKU Linz Social Fund once a semester. This form of support is possible three times during the entire duration of studies, provided that the criteria for receiving this support are met.

The Federal Representation of the Austrian National Union of Students has set up a special fund to support students with childcare obligations. Support from the Federal ÖH Social Fund can be applied for once a year.

Please note: Unfortunately, it is not possible to apply for both funds at the same time due to the resulting double funding (the ÖH JKU co-finances the Social Fund of the Federal ÖH). We therefore advise you to first apply for support from the Federal ÖH, and if your application is evaluated negatively there, you can apply for support from the Social Fund of the ÖH JKU Linz at the ÖH Sozialreferat of the ÖH JKU Linz.

There is no legal entitlement to support from the ÖH JKU Social Fund or from the Federal ÖH Social Fund.

Family Hardship Compensation Fund of the BMFJ

The Family Hardship Equalization Fund is a financial assistance in the form of a one-time payment for Austrian citizens in emergency situations if they are entitled to family allowance. The designated application form is to be sent to the Federal Ministry for Families and Youth together with the relevant documents.


Federal Ministry for Women, Family, Youth and Integration.
Address: Untere Donaustraße 13-15, 1020 Vienna
Telephone: +43 1 53115-0
Assistance in Special Social Situations of the Province of Upper Austria

In emergency situations, persons whose main residence is in Upper Austria, who have a low income and secure living conditions, can apply for one-time assistance from the State of Upper Austria. The application can be made once a year to the Social Department of the Province of Upper Austria.


Office of the Upper Austrian Provincial Government
Department of Social Affairs
Address: Bahnhofsplatz 1, 4021 Linz
Phone: +43 (0) 732/ 77 20 152 21

Mother-child subsidy from the state of Upper Austria

The parent who lives with the child in a shared household in Upper Austria and who primarily cares for the child receives a mother-child subsidy from the state of Upper Austria upon application, provided that all the examinations and vaccinations stipulated in the mother-child passport have been carried out. The application for the mother-child subsidy must be submitted to the province of Upper Austria within one year after the child reaches the age of 2, 6 or 9. The subsidy is paid out in three installments of EUR 125 each.


Office of the Upper Austrian Provincial Government
Department of Health, Mother-Child Grant
Address: Bahnhofsplatz 1, 4021 Linz
Phone: +43 (0) 732/ 77 20 149 10

Exemption from radio and television license fees

You can apply for an exemption from broadcasting fees if you are receiving a student grant or other social benefits (e.g. care allowance, AMS benefits, etc.). In addition, you can also apply for a subsidy for telephone charges.

The prerequisite for the exemption from broadcasting fees or the subsidy is, in addition to the main residence at the location of the exemption, a low household income, which refers to the net income of all persons living in a household. For 2022, the relevant income limit for single-person households is EUR 1,154.15 net per month, for two-person households EUR 1,820.80, and for each additional person there is an increase of EUR 178.08. Family allowance is not taken into account when determining net income. If the net income exceeds these limits, deductible expenses, such as the main rent including operating costs or extraordinary expenses, can be taken into account.

The application for exemption from the broadcasting fee and for the award of the subsidy must be submitted to GIS using the form provided for this purpose and enclosing the relevant supporting documents. GIS decides on this application by means of an official decision, against which an appeal may be lodged if necessary.


Gebühren Info Service Gmbh
Address: P.O. Box 1000, 1051 Vienna
Telephone: +43 (0) 810 00 10 80

Exemption from prescription charges

Exemption without application: Recipients of equalization supplement or minimum security as well as civilian servants and asylum seekers.

Exemption with application:

Under certain conditions, you can apply to your health insurance company for an exemption from prescription fees and costs for medical aids and other aids. For this purpose, your monthly net income in 2022 must not exceed the following guideline values:

  • Single persons: 1,030.49 EUR per month
  • Single persons with increased need for medication: 1,185.06 EUR per month
  • Married or cohabiting couple: 1,625.71 EUR per month
  • Married or cohabiting couple with increased medication needs: 1,869.59 EUR per month
  • Increase of the standard value for each co-insured child: 159 EUR per month

In addition, one is exempt from prescription fees for the rest of the year (and without having to apply) if one has already spent two percent of the annual net income on prescription fees in the current calendar year.

The exemption also applies to people who are co-insured with you. In return, you are not eligible for prescription fee waivers if you are co-insured with another person (e.g.: your parents) and they are not eligible for a waiver.

Contact and application:

With the health insurance carrier responsible for you.


Childcare allowance from the AMS

The childcare allowance of the AMS provides financial support for parents who start a job or attend a training course within the framework of labor market promotion and who have to place their children under the age of 15 in care at the same time. In addition, the allowance is granted if the economic circumstances have deteriorated significantly despite working or if new working hours require a different form of care. The gross monthly income may not exceed EUR 2,300 or EUR 3,350 in the case of a spouse. The childcare allowance amounts to a maximum of EUR 300 per month and is granted for 26 weeks at a time. The application must be submitted to the relevant employment service before starting work and before the child is placed in the care facility, and is accompanied by a counseling interview.

Contact and application:

At the competent regional office of the AMS.


Tips for single parents

As a student with a child - and especially as a single parent - it is important that you coordinate your appointments in good time, build up a well-functioning childcare network and keep track of your financial situation. In this context, you are welcome to take advantage of the services offered by the ÖH, such as the aid counseling in the ÖH Social Department, the budget counseling, the legal counseling or the tax counseling. For single parents there are now a number of subsidies and support measures from the state, the province, the municipalities and other institutions. For example, even if you do not work during your studies, you can claim the single-parent deduction in the course of your employee tax assessment. In addition, you can apply for a one-time financial grant from the state of Upper Austria, for example in financial emergencies. The Federal ÖH Social Fund or the ÖH Social Fund of the JKU Linz may also be of interest to you. You may also be eligible for an exemption from prescription, radio and television fees. The housing allowance and the heating allowance may provide financial relief in the area of "housing".

According to the Platform for Single Parents, only half of single parents in Austria receive regular maintenance. Therefore, we recommend you to inform yourself exactly about the amount and the entitlement to child support. The child support calculator of the Jugendwohlfahrt can be a helpful tool here (Unterhaltsrechner). However, organizations such as the "Verein Alleinerziehend" or the "Kinder- und Jugendhilfe Oberösterreich" also offer advice in this regard. If your ex-partner does not pay for the child support or does so only irregularly, there is the possibility of an advance on child support (Alimentationsbevorschussung). In this case, you can appoint the child and youth welfare office as your representative in maintenance matters. The Youth Welfare Office then takes over the filing of the corresponding applications, the monitoring of the payments and, if necessary, the execution. You will then be paid the money brought in and will not be burdened by the proceedings. The district court in whose district the minor child resides is responsible.

Being a single parent can sometimes be a great psychological burden. In this context, we would like to recommend the Psychological Student Counseling Service at JKU Linz. The team at the Psychological Student Counseling Service will advise you free of charge and anonymously if you wish. Other organizations, such as the "Verein Alleinerziehend" (Single Parent Association), also offer psychosocial or psychotherapeutic support specifically for single parents.

Strong and single parenting means having the courage to get help - because only if you are doing well, your child will be doing well, too.


Status: January 2022